We have explained why you still need a blog in 2020 in our previous post. But let us tell you one more time if you’d like to find everything about starting a blog in one place.
- You can make money from blogging. You can do it as a side hustle to earn passive income or make blogging as a full-time job. But if you follow some guidelines that we will guide you through for a successful blog, be sure that you can make money enough for you to get your financial freedom.
- You can quit your job and follow your dream. Most of us are consumed with 9 to 5, maybe even longer-hour jobs and come home in the evening with unbelievable tiredness. You can get rid of this stressful and full of anxiety lifestyle and make your life so much better from now on. If you can’t find your motivation yet, let tiredness be your motivation.
- Getting recognition or growing your business may also be something that comes with your blog. If you do something such as giving service in an industry and make your blog about it, you can get recognition and get more customers through your blog. Let’s say you are an SEO expert and writing very informative SEO articles on your blog. So you may get customers thanks to your blog if it is successful enough.
- You can also write about something you don’t know at all. In the end, it can only be to make some extra money to live on. Even if so, you will improve yourself so much more than you imagine when you research, find new resources and write articles for your blog.
- You already generate content every day. Your content gets interaction when you post an article on another website or share your wonderful idea on a different forum. When you do that, website owners make money in the background from the content you share. So why not you make money from your own content?
- Sharing your ideas with the world or providing valuable information on your expertise might just be your thing. It is very satisfying when someone reads your content and makes a comment about how much she/he likes it.
- If none of the lines above can convince you to start a blog, you can find your reason for it. This new blog of yours can be your diary or somewhere you gather all your interests or an escape door when you need it most. There are a hundred reasons to create a blog, so choose one and start now!
CLICK HERE TO READ OUR PREVIOUS POST ABOUT WHY YOU NEED TO START A BLOG NOW!
I DON’T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT BLOGGING! DO I NEED TECHNICAL INFORMATION TO START A BLOG?
- You definitely don’t need any other information than you may find in this article. We will share every step you need to take. And you can always contact us with any questions you might have. There is really no need for technical stuff. You will already gain familiarity with WordPress platform and writing blog posts when you begin your blogging journey.
Today, it is certain with some statistics that there are over 500 million blogs in the world in 2019. Many people write a blog of their own including housewives with children, university students, full-time employees and many many more we can’t even count. No matter how old you are, you can do it, too. This is not about age or having technical information, this is about your desire, your passion, your dream, and your determination.
CAN I MAKE MONEY BLOGGING?
- Definitely, yes! Do you believe that millions of people write blog posts just for fun? I don’t think so. Everyone (well, not everyone anymore) sees blogging as an empty, even stupid hobby which you can’t make money. Whoever you talk to thinks you are a dreamer making money from blogging. As a general community opinion, blogging can make you earn money, that’s ok, but you can’t do it full-time or you can’t make money 2-3 times more than your actual monthly salary. Well, they are wrong. And you’ll see that if you just look around.
And of course, these are general answers that might help you clear your mind to start writing blog posts. We’ll also give real-life examples in another article and you won’t believe the numbers the bloggers can make.
DOES IT COST ANYTHING TO START A BLOG? HOW MUCH DOES IT COST?
- There are a couple of good platforms to start a blog. There are ones who don’t cost anything, and also ones who cost a little. Considering that no one gives you anything in this era without anything in return, the free platforms you use will either make money over you or limit the features you can use.
If you want to start a professional blog, you need to pay for the service to be 24/7 live on the web. You can’t spend money when you make it because you’ll never make it in this way. Blogging requires you to spend some money if you want to make money blogging. Some people see blogging as a scheme or a shortcut that can reach them to the stars. Well, it is not like that. You have to show some dedication, you have to work for it and spend your time on it. It obviously doesn’t happen overnight, it can take months based on how good and original your blog posts are, how competitive the industry you target is, etc.
So how much really does it cost to create a blog? It depends on which theme you are going to choose, hosting service you prefer. But you can handle it with only 10 USD. Keep reading if you want to find all the details you need.
WHICH BLOGGING PLATFORM DO YOU NEED TO CHOOSE?
There are many platforms to launch a blog. How can you choose which one is correct for your intentions? From which blogging platform should you use to make money?
Choosing the blogging platform is the very first step you’ll take for creating a blog of yours. We’ll get to the detail for each of the blogging platforms later in another article, but we don’t want to mess you around with unnecessary stuff now. In the end, this is a guide for starting a blog for beginners. So let’s tackle the most popular and the most confusable ones which are WordPress.org and WordPress.com.
Our advice is for you to definitely choose wordpress.org. WordPress is totally free but you’ll need to pay for web hosting. Your blog will be self-hosted at this platform whereas it is connected to WordPress.com. And it is the most used blogging platform in Top 100, beating all the others with 52% in 2019.
- I hear your question: “Wordpress.com is free, why don’t I use it?” Well, because you never have your independent blogging website if you choose this. And your blog name would look like this: “yourblognamegoeshere.wordpress.com”. Let us tell you that these blogs would not look professional, the domain is longer than needed, it is not catchy and memorable. The goal here is for the blogging platforms to market themselves. Why would you have such a website address while you can have much better like “www.yourblogname.com”?
If someone makes money blogging, he/she most likely use a self-hosted domain on wordpress.org.
There are other free blogging platforms such as Blogger, Drupal, Medium, Joomla, etc. Considering all blogging platforms we only advise you to choose wordpress.org and have a self-hosted blog to make money. You can see the graphic of usage percentage for each blogging platform here:
Google Adsense is very important for your blog, you should play by the rules to get your approval.
- There is another essential reason not to choose the free blogging platforms. You can make money by blogging free. That’s almost for sure. You’ll need Google Adsense when you launch your blog and start writing blog posts. If your name would look like “yourblognamegoeshere.wordpress.com”, then Google Adsense would not approve your website 99%. And if your blog doesn’t get approval, you can’t earn money from Adsense ads.
We have launched several websites and blogs based on WordPress (2 of them are still active and profitable) since 2013. So please do count us when we tell you to choose the paid WordPress. Let’s repeat this phrase about blogging here: You can’t make money if you start spending after you start earning.
HOW TO GET A HOSTING AND A DOMAIN FOR BLOG
Let’s begin this by explaining what a hosting or a domain is (it is no shame that if you don’t know it, you’re here to learn, glad to have you here!).
HOSTING: You can think that hosting is a 24/7 live computer that hosts your website infrastructure, your site documents, posts, images, and everything. It is a server that keeps your blog live all the time.
DOMAIN: It is your registered website address. yourblogname.com, yourblognamegoeshere.net are examples of a domain. Domain cost is $8.88/yr, but don’t choose and buy it right away. Please keep reading!
HOW TO START A BLOG – STEP 1:
WHAT SHOULD YOU CHOOSE FOR DOMAIN NAME
You should choose a domain name for your blog and check if it’s taken by someone else or not.
IMPORTANT NOTE HERE!
DO NOT BUY DOMAIN NAME YET! YOU’LL GET IT FREE WHEN YOU BUY HOSTING FOR YOUR BLOG. At this point, choose your domain name, be sure that it is available.
Click here (namecheap linki eklenecek) to go to the website where you’ll get your domain. Then, find the “Search Domain” section which you can also see in the image below.
Write the domain on your mind to the place where “Go big with your next domain” is written
Click on the Search icon in red.
After this step, the website will redirect you to a page allowing you to see which extensions of your domain are available or whether it is taken by some other human being.
If your domain name is available, you’ll see a checkmark in green at the left side of your domain just as in the image below:
And if it is not available, you’ll see a cross icon in gray again at the left side of the domain name you chose. You can see the example in the example of our domain as it is already taken by us:
We use and actually love this domain website, but you can surely choose another popular domain website as well.
HOW TO START A BLOG – STEP 2:
WHICH HOSTING PLAN YOU NEED TO BUY AND HOW?
An ultimate guide to buying a web hosting
There are some good hosting companies. The most popular and most used ones are BlueHost and GoDaddy. We also like InMotion Hosting. Here, we’ll explain all the steps to buy a web hosting plan via BlueHost. As a hosting provider, BlueHost is also the official hosting provider of WordPress itself and it is very easy to make the WordPress installation.
So as our first move, we go to the Bluehost website.
Then click on Get Started.
How to Pick Web Hosting Plan on BlueHost
Step 1: Choosing Hosting Plan
After clicking, the page will lead you to where you’ll see four different hosting plan options. So which one should you choose among them?
Choose Basic ($3.95/mo) if you run only one website/blog
Choose Choice Plus ($5.95/mo) if you run multiple websites/blogs in the long run (Plus, it includes privacy for your domain which might actually be good for you. What is it: When people search your domain on who.is, they can see the name registered to the domain name. But they can’t see any name if you activate domain privacy.)
So choose Choice Plus if you don’t mind $2 difference between two packages. Your option of unlimited domains will be here if you consider starting a new blog in the future.
You’ve chosen your hosting plan now. Click on Select. You will see free or existing domain options when you do it.
Step 2: Choosing your free domain (alternatively using an existing one)
This is where and how we get our free domain. Write the domain name you’d like to get. You also have the option to use your right for free domain later. So it is ok if you haven’t chosen the name of your dream blog yet (Sending an email to BlueHost’s customer service is enough if you happen to use your free domain later).
If you are using your existing domain, the nameservers at your domain registrar must be changed to:
But we recommend you to keep everything simple for now and write the domain name you want to buy, then your free domain will be yours and be active with a legit web hosting.
After this step, it will flow easily. You just need to click on the next and fill the information in.
Step 3: Filling in the Required Information
So in this step, you need to enter all the information and details if necessary. Be definitely sure that your email address is correct because your login details will be sent to your email address.
Step 4: Choosing the Right Package
Please be very attentive here. Make sure that you have chosen the right package and that there are no add-ons on your payment details. If you choose your hosting package for a minimum of one year or more, the price should be lower than normal. But that’s your choice. And for the record, you really don’t need stuff such as Site Back Pro or SiteLock Security. So you may deselect them to reduce the current price if you’re searching for a minimum-priced option.
Step 5: Completing Your Purchase
The photos we’ve added are to make sure that you are on the same page with us. When you see the page following, you are about to complete the hosting part of your blog. Well, of course, you should scroll down, read the page if there is something wrong. Then, make the payment and purchase your hosting (with a free domain).
In the payment options, you’ll only see the credit card option at first. You can click on more payment options if you pay for it via another payment method.
On the coming page, you’ll see the “Congratulations” text. Please click on “no, thanks” here and create your password when you are requested to choose a password for your account.
Step 6: Creating Your Password
On the new opening page, you’ll see a button for you to choose a password for your hosting account.
After clicking on this, the system will require you to select a password. You can either write some password or generate a strong random password which will be stronger and more secure. You can click on the “Suggest Password” button for this option.
Now hang on a little more! You are almost there!
Final Step / Step 7: Logging into your Hosting CPanel:
An email has come to your email address with all the login details for your hosting account except the password you’ve recently created. This is for security reasons.
Now, please go to Bluehost.com and click on Login which is on the upper right.
And ta-dah! You are one step closer now to your blog. The hosting part is completed. Well done!
HOW TO START A BLOG – STEP 3:
STEPS TO INSTALL WORDPRESS ON BLUEHOST
There is no one way to install WordPress. However, installing it on Bluehost is the easiest option considering that you have purchased a Bluehost hosting. It is also the official recommended option by WordPress itself and one of the best hosting companies in 2020. So no need to trouble ourselves here. Let’s learn how to install WordPress on Bluehost:
In the previous section, you have purchased your Bluehost hosting plan and now you have all the login details. So what you need is to log into your account on Bluehost and find the My Sites tab under the Home tab.
Click on the “Log in to WordPress” button here. You’ll be redirected to your WordPress admin panel when you do that. You just simply should click on the “Create Site” button on the upper right in the “My Sites” tab.
Now, the Bluehost installation wizard for WordPress will help you and start launching. There are some things that you should do as well.
Here, the wizard will ask you to write your site title and probably a tagline, too. Then please click on Next to be able to continue.
After this step, you need to write your domain name and choose a path for your new-born website. You can select it from the drop-down menu if you already have your domain name.
Now, the Bluehost will automatically choose the directory for you if you leave it empty. You can also add the free plugins that the website recommends you to install. And click on the “Continue” button.
The rest is up to the Bluehost wizard which will automatically launch your WordPress site. This is now about waiting for it as it might take some time to install it. After that, a new page will be opened saying that “WordPress installed successfully!”
Perfectly done! There was no need to worry, right? You’ve done it!
Now, you can log into WordPress by clicking on the “Login to WordPress” button to enter your blog’s WordPress panel.
The installer will set up your WordPress site, which may take a few moments. After that, you will see a success message with your WordPress site details.
HOW TO START A BLOG – STEP 4:
HOW TO CREATE A BLOG DESIGN
Blog design is important for a clean blog website and drawing people’s attention. There are lots and lots of themes on the web which you can use. You can find both free themes or premium themes for your blog.
As a first step, you should preview the themes and find the one you’d like for your blog. Don’t feet overwhelmed with tons of themes right away. Just choose a clean-looking one and it will work.
So let’s get started!
Log into your admin panel.
Head over to Appearance from the left side of your admin panel.
Choose Themes under Appearance.
A page will be opened on this part. Choose “Add new” from the upper-middle side.
Select the “Latest” tab to find out the ready themes for your blog. There are over 4000 theme designs in WordPress.
You’ll see Preview and Install options when you select a theme.
Choose Install option for the theme you’d like.
And that’s all. You finished the design part!
HOW TO START A BLOG – STEP 5:
HOW TO PUBLISH YOUR FIRST BLOG POST
You’re now starting your own blog journey. The content is everything for your blog. So what should you do to post a blog article? Let’s find out in the following steps:
1. Write your title for your article.
2. Write your article.
3. Add media.
We’ll write every step in much more detail, share tips for your blog to be successful, provide strategical information on how to make money blogging and free tools to upgrade your blog, etc. So don’t forget to stay tuned! There’s more to come 🙂